by Al Gore
From the former vice president and #1 New York Times bestselling author comes "An Inconvenient Truth" for everything ÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎÌ__ÌÎÌ_Ì´åÇÌÎå«Ì´å a frank and clear-eyed assessment of six critical drivers of global change in the decades to come.
Ours is a time of revolutionary change that has no precedent in history. With the same passion he brought to the challenge of climate change, and with his decades of experience on the front lines of global policy, Al Gore surveys our planetÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎÌ__ÌÎÌ_Ì´åÇÌÎå«Ì´Ìàs beclouded horizon and offers a sober, learned and ultimately hopeful forecast in the visionary tradition of Alvin TofflerÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎÌ__ÌÎÌ_Ì´åÇÌÎå«Ì´Ìàs "Future Shock" and John NaisbittÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎÌ__ÌÎÌ_Ì´åÇÌÎå«Ì´Ìàs "Megatrends." In "The Future," Gore identifies the emerging forces that are reshaping our world:
- Ever-increasing economic globalization has led to the emergence of what he labels ÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎÌ__ÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎå«Ì´åÇEarth Inc.ÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎÌ__ÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎÌ_Ì´å« ÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎÌ__ÌÎÌ_Ì´åÇÌÎå«Ì´å an integrated holistic entity with a new and different relationship to capital, labor, consumer markets and national governments than in the past.
- The worldwide digital communications, Internet and computer revolutions have led to the emergence of ÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎÌ__ÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎå«Ì´åÇthe Global Mind,ÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎÌ__ÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎÌ_Ì´å« which links the thoughts and feelings of billions of people and connects intelligent machines, robots, ubiquitous sensors and databases.
- The balance of global political, economic and military power is shifting more profoundly than at any time in the last 500 years ÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎÌ__ÌÎÌ_Ì´åÇÌÎå«Ì´å from a U.S.-centered system to one with multiple emerging centers of power, from nation-states to private actors and from political systems to markets.
- A deeply flawed economic compass is leading us to unsustainable growth in consumption, pollution flows and depletion of the planetÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎÌ__ÌÎÌ_Ì´åÇÌÎå«Ì´Ìàs strategic resources of topsoil, fresh water and living species.
- Genomic, biotechnology, neuroscience and life sciences revolutions are radically transforming the fields of medicine, agriculture and molecular science ÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎÌ__ÌÎÌ_Ì´åÇÌÎå«Ì´å and are putting control of evolution in human hands.
- There has been a radical disruption of the relationship between human beings and the earthÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎÌ__ÌÎÌ_Ì´åÇÌÎå«Ì´Ìàs ecosystems, along with the beginning of a revolutionary transformation of energy systems, agriculture, transportation and construction worldwide.
From his earliest days in public life, Al Gore has been warning us of the promise and peril of emergent truths ÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎÌ__ÌÎÌ_Ì´åÇÌÎå«Ì´å no matter how ÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎÌ__ÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎå«Ì´åÇinconvenientÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎÌ__ÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎÌ_Ì´å« they may seem to be. As absorbing as it is visionary, "The Future" is a map of the world to come, from a man who has looked ahead before and been proven all too right.
ÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎÌ__ÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎå«Ì´åÇThis is a great book. From political policy and economics to science and the most thorny ethical issues, Al Gore has stated the human condition and the issues we face forthrightly, fearlessly, and in easily understood languageÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎÌ__ÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎÌ_ÌÎÌ¥and has said what must be done. I asked myself halfway through who else could have written a book of this magnitude. The only answer I could imagine was Jefferson.ÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎÌ__ÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎÌ_Ì´å« ÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎÌ__ÌÎÌ_Ì´åÇÌÎå«Ì´å E. O. Wilson, Harvard University, two-time winner of the Pulitzer Prize
"I'm a pro-growth supply-side economist, so my admiration for Al Gore may seem like an oxymoron. It's not. This book is amazingly rich in wisdom, practicality, and insight. Al Gore has a portfolio that warrants credibility and is an accomplished polymath who transcends ideology while turning our attention to big issues, big ideas, and big solutions. The Future frames the discussion whether you're conservative, agnostic, or liberal. It's a fascinating deep read." ÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎÌ__ÌÎÌ_Ì´åÇÌÎå«Ì´å Arthur B. Laffer, Ph.D.
"Whether he's discussing cyberspace, the environment, science, or the economy, Al Gore presents in this book, with impressive breadth and well-researched depth, the challenges we have to meet to ensure that they become opportunities rather than threats. If you are concerned about the massive changes the world is just heading into, then you should read this book. If you aren't, then you must read it!" ÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎÌ__ÌÎÌ_Ì´åÇÌÎå«Ì´å Tim Berners-Lee
About the Author
Former vice president Al Gore is co-founder and chairman of Generation Investment Management. He is also a senior partner at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, and a member of Apple Inc.ÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎÌ__ÌÎÌ_Ì´åÇÌÎå«Ì´Ìàs board of directors. Gore spends the majority of his time as chairman of the Climate Reality Project, a nonprofit devoted to solving the climate crisis. Gore was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives four times and the U.S. Senate twice. He served eight years as vice president. He authored the bestsellers "Earth in the Balance," "An Inconvenient Truth," "The Assault on Reason" and "Our Choice." He is a co-recipient of the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize.
- Hardcover: 592 pages
- Publisher: Random House; First Edition (January 29, 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0812992946
- ISBN-13: 978-0812992946
- Product Dimensions: 9.5 x 6.2 x 1.9 inches
- Shipping Weight: 2.1 pounds
NOTE: Purchasing "The Future: Six Drivers of Global Change hardcover)" from WND's online store also qualifies you to receive three FREE issues of WNDÌÎÌ_ÌÎ_ÌÎÌ__ÌÎÌ_Ì´åÇÌÎå«Ì´Ìàs acclaimed monthly print magazine, Whistleblower. Watch for the FREE offer during checkout