Ben Crane (Kurt Russell) is a horse trainer for wealthy businessman Palmer (David Morse). While entertaining two Arab horse owners Palmer insists that one of his horses, Sonador, must race despite Ben's disapproval (Sonador is not in top form). Palmer is insistent that Sonador race and when the horse does, it collapses and breaks a leg. Because race horses are of no use once a leg is broken, they are killed, so Palmer gives the order to have Sonador put to sleep.
Seeing all this transpire is Ben's daughter Cale (Dakota Fanning) who is heartbroken at the thought of what is going to happen to a racehorse that she has become attached to. After seeing her reaction Ben decides to take the horse as part payment for money owed to him by Palmer and also decides to quit his job. Ben also takes along a couple of the stable workers, Balon (Luis Guzman) and Manolin (Freddy Rodriguez), and with the help of Ben's estranged father (Kris Kristofferson) the journey begins of a family coming together with a common dream that an injured horse will defy the odds.
- Actors: Kurt Russell, Dakota Fanning, Oded Fehr, Kris Kristofferson, Elisabeth Shue
- Director: John Gatins
- Writer: John Gatins
- Producers: Ashok Amritraj, Bill Johnson, Brian Robbins, Caitlin Scanlon, Jon Jashni
- Format: AC-3, Color, Dolby, Dubbed, DVD-Video, Subtitled, Widescreen, NTSC
- Language: French (Dolby Digital 5.1), English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo), English (Dolby Digital 5.1)
- Subtitles: English, Spanish, French
- Region: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only.)
- Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1
- Number of discs: 1
- Rating: PG (Parental Guidance Suggested)
- Studio: Dreamworks Video
- DVD Release Date: March 21, 2006
- Run Time: 106 minutes
- ASIN: B000E0OBMY
NOTE: Purchasing "Dreamer" from WND's online store also qualifies you to receive three FREE issues of WND's acclaimed monthly print magazine, Whistleblower. Watch for the FREE offer during checkout.