"Cinderella Man" is a wholesome slice of old-fashioned Americana, offering welcomed relief from the shallowness of many blockbusters. In dramatizing the legendary Depression-era comeback of impoverished boxer Jim Braddock, director Ron Howard benefits from another superb collaboration with his "A Beautiful Mind" star Russell Crowe, whose portrayal of Braddock is simultaneously warm, noble and tenacious without resorting to even the slightest hint of sentimental melodrama.
The desperate struggle of the Depression is more keenly felt here than it was in "Seabiscuit," and Howard shows its economic impact in ways that strengthen the bonds between Braddock, his supportive wife (RenÌÎ_Ì´Ìà_e Zellweger), three young children and his loyal manager (Paul Giamatti); all are forced to make sacrifices leading up to Braddock's title bout against heavyweight champion Max Baer (Craig Bierko) in one of the greatest boxing matches in the history of the sport.
Boasting the finest production design, cinematography and editing that Hollywood can offer, this is a feel-good film that never begs for your affection; it's just good, classical American filmmaking, brimming with qualities of decency and fortitude that have grown all too rare in the big-studio mainstream.
Academy Award winners Russell Crowe and Renee Zellweger star in this triumphant, powerfully inspiring true story. In a time when America needed a champion, an unlikely hero would arise, proving how hard a man would fight to win a second chance for his family and himself. Suddenly thrust into the national spotlight, boxer Jim Braddock would defy the odds against him and stun the world with one of the greatest comebacks in history. Driven by love for his family, he willed an impossible dream to come true.
- Actors: Russell Crowe, RenÌÎ_Ì´Ìà_e Zellweger, Craig Bierko, Paul Giamatti, Paddy Considine
- Director: Ron Howard
- Writers: Akiva Goldsman, Cliff Hollingsworth
- Producers: Brian Grazer, James Whitaker, Kathleen McGill, Louisa Velis, Penny Marshall
- Format: AC-3, Color, Dolby, Dubbed, DVD-Video, Subtitled, Widescreen, NTSC
- Language: English (Dolby Digital 5.1)
- Subtitles: English, Spanish, French
- Region: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only.)
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Number of discs: 1
- Rating: PG-13 (Parental Guidance Suggested)
- Studio: Universal Studios
- DVD Release Date: December 6, 2005
- Run Time: 144 minutes
- ASIN: B000ARTN3I
NOTE: Purchasing "Cinderella Man" from WND's online store also qualifies you to receive three FREE issues of WND's acclaimed monthly print magazine, Whistleblower. Watch for the FREE offer during checkout.