by Tony Blankley
Tough Times Call for Tough Action
In "American Grit," nationally syndicated columnist Tony Blankley warns that the administration of Barack Obama is a potential disaster at a dangerous time for America.
Challenging Americans to recapture the spirit of sacrifice that has historically characterized our nation, Blankley demonstrates how Obama's agenda, with its emphasis on environmental sensitivity, military retreat and the diminution of executive branch powers, promotes national weakness as a righteous ideal. In contrast, Blankley puts forward his own nationalist program based on toughness, resoluteness and grit ÌÎ_Ì´åÌ´å traditional American values totally absent from Obama's agenda. In this passionate, hard-hitting book, Blankley shows:
- How Obama's plan for national service is a weak substitute for what America really needs ÌÎ_Ì´åÌ´å a full-on military draft
- How Obama's infatuation with alternative energy will damage America's national interests
- Why we need stricter laws to prevent the media from compromising our national security
- Why the office of the presidency, contrary to popular belief, has not gained enough power since the September 11 attacks
- How we can craft a successful foreign policy that avoids the mistakes of both the liberals and the neo-cons
- How our war effort in Iraq was undermined by effective enemy propaganda ÌÎ_Ì´åÌ´å and what we can do about it
- Why education reform under President Obama will fail to address one of the biggest problems in our education system: the failure to teach patriotism
Filled with solutions to problems ranging from the detention of enemy combatants to dealing with aggressive petro-states like Russia, Venezuela and Iran, "American Grit" demonstrates how this country can emerge from its current domestic and military challenges as a stronger, more unified and more tenacious nation ÌÎ_Ì´åÌ´å and why under President Obama it won't.
Americans need to toughen up ÌÎ_Ì´åÌ´å personally, culturally and as a national fighting force ÌÎ_Ì´åÌ´å if we are to survive the unprecedented threat from Islamist assault. So says New York Times bestselling author Tony Blankley in his book "American Grit." In it, Blankley prescribes a three-pronged approach and lays out a compelling plan for the U.S. to implement:
- A universal military draft of both men and women ÌÎ_Ì´åÌ´å not only to boost the size of our fighting force but to instill a unity of toughness and cultural purpose among both the personally self-indulgent and unassimilated immigrants.
- A policy to get us on the road to energy independence to expand our diplomatic and economic options in the Middle East and around the world.
- A serious and sophisticated program for communicating Western moral values and the American spirit of self-determination to people living under oppressive regimes as well as to voters here at home.
These three components were the key to America's success in previous wars and must be "rediscovered" today. The "PC" crowd will complain, but Blankley argues that this conservative manifesto to re-establish "American Grit" is essential ÌÎ_Ì´åÌ´å our nation's very survival depends on it.
- Hardcover: 256 pages
- Publisher: Regnery Publishing (January 2009)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1596985194
- ISBN-13: 978-1596985193