By James Ussher
ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT LITERARY AND HISTORICAL WORKS YOU'LL EVER OWN. A RARE FIND. A TREASURE FOR ANY HOME LIBRARY.
Master Books commissioned this important literary work to be updated from the 17th-century original Latin manuscript to modern English and made available to the general public for the first time. Now, due to popular demand, it is available for the first time in softcover.
In its pages can be found the fascinating history of the ancient world, from the Genesis creation through the destruction of the Jerusalem temple.
* Why was Julius Caesar kidnapped in 75 B.C.?
* Why did Alexander the Great burn his ships in 326 B.C.?
* What really happened when the sun "went backward" as a sign to Hezekiah?
* What does secular history say about the darkness at the Crucifixion?
In the years 1650-1654, Archbishop James Ussher set out to write a history of the world from creation to A.D. 70. The result was published in 1658 as the literary classic "The Annals of the World." This famous comprehensive history of the world, originally published in Latin, offers a look at history rarely seen. Ussher traveled throughout Europe, gathering much information from the actual historical documents. Many of these documents are no longer available, having been destroyed since the time of his research.
Using the Bible as his timeline, Ussher began with the death of Nebuchadnezzar as a reliable date and worked backward through the genealogies of the Old Testament to arrive at the date of creation -- 4004 B.C. Integrating biblical history (around 15 percent of the text is from the Bible) with secular (around 85 percent of the material is from nonbiblical sources), Ussher wrote this masterpiece.
Considered not only a literary classic but also an accurate reference, "The Annals of the World" was so highly regarded for its preciseness that the timeline from it was included in the margins of many King James Version Bibles throughout the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries, calling to mind the fact that the earth is only around 6,000 years old. The fact that Ussher's chronology has been deleted from Bibles is evidence of the Church's backsliding into the deceptive ideas of evolution.
"The Annals of the World" is a necessary addition to any church library, pastor's library or any library -- public or personal. The entire text has been updated from 17th-century English to present-day vernacular in a five-year project commissioned by Master Books. Containing many human-interest stories from the original historical documents collected by Ussher, this is more than just a history book -- a work of history.
* Important literary work that has been inaccessible in book form for over 300 years
* Translated into modern English for the first time
* Traces world history from creation through A.D. 70
* Over 10,000 footnotes from the original text have been updated to references from works in the Loeb Classical Library by Harvard Press
* Over 2,500 citations from the Bible and the Apocrypha
* Ussher's original citations have been checked against the latest textual scholarship
* One of history's most famous and well-respected historians
* Spent over five years researching and writing this book
* Entered college at age 13
* Received his master's degree at age 18
* Was an expert in Semitic languages
* Buried in Westminster Abbey
About the Book:
* Cover presented in the style of classic literary works
* 8 appendixes
* Fully indexed
* Paragraphs numbered
* Chronological presentation of material
* Paperback: 960 pages
* Publisher: Master Books; imprint (March 1, 2007)
* Language: English
* ISBN-10: 0890515107
* ISBN-13: 978-0890515105
* Product Dimensions: 10.8 x 8.2 x 2 inches