The Seventh Day Complete Set - (5 DVDs)
Which day is the Christian Sabbath? Sunday? Or is it Saturday? Did Jesus authorize the change of the Sabbath from the seventh day of the week to the first day? Did His disciples do it?
This must-have, fascinating look at the Sabbath and its universal meaning in our lives looks back across the centuries to uncover the history of the Sabbath. Hosted by award-winning actor and narrator Hal Holbrook, this five-part documentary series traces the amazing history of the Sabbath in human history. Using the earliest written records to discover the foundations of human time, it exposes past and current political and religious intrigue regarding the seventh day and uncovers hidden truth about the future of the Sabbath.
The Seventh Day Disk 1
- Origins - Views of human beginnings from Babylonian and Aztec myths as well as from the Bible and the Quran.
- The Evolution Explanation - Darwin's theory of evolution challenges traditional view of origins.
- Beyond Chance - A case against blind chance as a logical explanation of human origins.
- Intelligent Designer - The Bible's portrayal of Creation and the Creator.
- The Architecture of Time - The week and the Sabbath in the structure of human life.
- Point of Contact - The weekly Sabbath in man's relationship with God.
- A Day for All Mankind - The universal and perpetual purpose for the weekly day of rest.
- Unholy Sabbath - National disaster strikes the "chosen people" due, in part, to their neglect of the Sabbath.
- Sabbath Around the World - Somehow the concept of Sabbath extends into the culture and language of many peoples.
- Reform - Revival of Sabbath observance among the Jews who returned from exile results in heroism and tragedy.
The Seventh Day Disk 2
- Religion in Rome - A summary view of Roman religions during the time of Jesus.
- The Jewish Sabbath - Strict Sabbath-keeping marks the Jews as unique.
- The Sabbath Reformer - The Bible portrays Jesus as a revolutionary Sabbath-keeper.
- Prophecy - Jesus predicts that His followers would be still be keeping the Sabbath at the time of the destruction of Jerusalem in A.D. 70.
- Christians and Jews - The two groups shared a view of a personal God and of the weekly Sabbath, but Christians find new meaning in the holy day.
- The Christian Sabbath - Clear evidence for Christian observance of the seventh-day Sabbath in the first century.
- Sunday-keepers - Second-century Christians in Alexandria and Rome begin observing the first day of the week instead of the Sabbath.
- The Day of the Sun - Roman sun worship and its link to Christian Sunday observance.
- Sunday Law - Emperor Constantine legalizes Sunday as the weekly day of rest in the Roman Empire.
- The Sabbath Survives - Proof of seventh-day (Saturday) Sabbath observance into the middle of the fourth century.
The Seventh Day Disk 3
- Celtic Christianity - The religious background to the story of St. Patrick.
- The Real Patrick - Once a slave in Ireland, Patrick responds to a divine call and returns to the Emerald Isle as a missionary.
- Celtic Sabbath - Saturday observed as the Sabbath by Celtic Christians.
- Margaret of Scotland - Margaret comes from England, marries King Malcolm, and attempts to reform Sunday observance in Scotland.
- Assault on the Sabbath - The Church of Rome promotes the Sabbath (Saturday) fast as an expression of anti-Jewish sentiments.
- Power Struggle - The "Sabbath fast" becomes a key issue in the rivalry between church leaders in Rome and Constantinople.
- Deceptions - The "letter from heaven" threatens Sunday-breakers.
- Fight for Truth - Resistance to church/state authority brings tragedy.
- John Wycliffe: Champion of Conscience - An Oxford professor focuses new attention on the Bible as the supreme authority for Christian faith and practice.
- The Lollards - Wycliffe's followers take his views throughout England and beyond.
- The Church vs. the Bible - The church-state establishment opposes the spread of the Bible and the ideas of Wycliffe and the Lollards.
The Seventh Day Disk 4
- Russian Reformation - This Sabbath-keeping movement reaches the highest levels of Russian society and leads to fiery executions in Moscow's Red Square.
- Sabbath vs. Sunday in Ethiopia - Jesuit missionaries succeed in converting the Emperor to Roman Catholicism, but attempts to quash Sabbath observance result in civil war.
- Inquisition - Civil and religious authorities unit to root out "heresy."
- Purging the Church in Spain - Ferdinand and Isabella, the "Catholic Monarchs," use the Spanish Inquisition to rid their church of Jewish heresies.
- Portugal exports the Inquisition - Inquisitors carry their campaign of religious persecution into the new territories of Portugal's expanding empire.
- Authority: Sola Scriptura? - Protestant Reformers insist on the authority of the sacred Scriptures, while Catholic leaders defend their church's stand on Tradition.
- Anabaptists - Persecuted by Protestants and Catholics alike, these radical reformers stand for strict adherence to biblical teachings. Among them are new champions of the Sabbath.
- The Seventh-Day Men - While many Puritan preachers insist on strict observance of Sunday, other prominent Englishmen call for a return to the Sabbath of the Ten Commandments.
The Seventh Day Disk 5
- Roger Williams and Religious Liberty - This nonconformist preacher establishes the Rhode Island colony on the foundation of freedom of conscience for everybody.
- To the New World - A Sabbathkeeping Baptist couple emigrate from England to Rhode Island and help establish the first Seventh Day Baptist congregation in America.
- A Song in the Wilderness - Conrad Beisel and his followers establish a Sabbath-keeping community on Pennsylvania's Cocalico Creek — the Ephrata Cloister.
- A Voice from Germany - Count Ludwig von Zinzendorf directs the Moravian mission to the North American Indians and inspires his community to keep the seventh-day Sabbath.
- Advent Movement - A Seventh Day Baptist lady shares her Sabbath beliefs with her pastor, and this leads to the establishment of the Seventh-day Adventist church.
- Kingdom of Heavenly Peace - 19th-century China is shaken by the Taiping Revolution, a huge peasant revolt that is shaped, in part, by biblical principles including observance of the seventh-day Sabbath.
- Eskimo Prophet - In Alaska's Kobuk River valley a man named Maniilaq learns about "seventh-day resting" from one he calls "the Grandfather."
- The Shining One - Deep in the South American rain forest Chief Owkwa learns about the Sabbath from a bright celestial visitor.
- Africa - The Sabbath's deep cultural roots in various parts of this continent.
- Saving Sunday - The secularization of Sunday in 19th-century America leads some political and religious leaders to promote laws that would protect Sunday as the national day of rest and worship.
- Sabbath on Trial - People who observe Saturday rather than Sunday as their weekly day of worship sometimes face financial hardship and legal trouble because of their beliefs.
- People of the Sabbath - Although still a small minority, seventh-day Sabbath-keepers are increasing in number around the world.
- Challenges - Sabbath-keeping theologians respond to critics who contend that observing the seventh-day Sabbath is legalistic or irrelevant for Christians today.
- Eternal Sabbath - Bible prophecy points to the Sabbath as part of God's plan for a perfect world in the eternal future.
The story of the change of the Sabbath is enriched by the testimony of 50 historians and theologians from around the world. Together they provide a careful exposé of the long battle over the biblical Sabbath. Blending history and current events chronicling the seventh-day Sabbath, this epic story, worldwide in scope, is the perfect opportunity to understand and share God's gift of Sabbath rest in a profoundly moving and in-depth way.
- • Format: DVD
• Format: Closed-captioned, AC-3
• Region: All Regions
• Number of disks: 5
• Studio: LLT Productions, Inc.
• Run Time: 300 minutes
• Product Dimensions: 7.5 x 5.4 x 2.7 inches
• Shipping Weight: 14.4 ounces
NOTE: Purchasing "The Seventh Day Complete Set" from WND's online store also qualifies you to receive three FREE issues of WND's acclaimed monthly print magazine, Whistleblower. Watch for the FREE offer during checkout.