LifeStraw Personal Water Filter
Easy access to clean and safe drinking water anywhere! Filters at least 1,000 liters of water and removes up to 99.9% percent of waterborne bacteria.
A Time Magazine “Invention of the Year” winner, LifeStraw is the most advanced, compact, ultralight personal water filter available. LifeStraw contains no chemicals or iodinated resin, no batteries and no moving parts to break or wear out. It features a high flow rate and weighs only 2oz. LifeStraw is perfect for the ultralight backpacker, traveler, boy scout, hunter, and especially for emergency preparedness.
LifeStraw filters to 0.2 microns through the use of hollow-fiber membranes, which are small tubes with even smaller pores. These pores allow water to pass, but prevent contaminants larger than 0.2 microns from flowing through. As you get closer to 264 gallons (1,000 liters), the pores will eventually become clogged with debris and the flow will stop.
LifeStraw is the water filter chosen by leading NGOs for humanitarian relief worldwide since launch in 2005. LifeStraws have been sent to Africa, Pakistan, Haiti, and South America for disaster aid, and a portion of domestic sales support this donation program. LifeStraw has only been available in North America since 2011, when excess inventory has allowed it.
- Drink directly from streams, or from a wide-mouth water bottle
- Removes a minimum of 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria (>LOG 6 reduction)
- Removes 99.9% of waterborne protozoan parasites (>LOG 3 reduction)
- Surpasses EPA guidelines for E. coli, Giardia (beaver fever), and Cryptosporidium oocysts, and others.
- Reduces water turbidity, filters particles of approximately 0.2 microns.
- Filters up to 264 gallons (1000 liters) of contaminated water per manufacturer.
- Contains no chemicals. Does NOT contain iodinated resin (iodine): safe for thyroid gland. BPA-free.
- Will not allow water to flow when it reaches capacity.
- The choice of NGOs for worldwide humanitarian relief since 2005. A portion of sales goes to support clean water projects worldwide.
How To Use the LifeStraw Water Filter
Filtering your drinking water could not be simpler. With LifeStraw you can drink directly from puddles or streams, or you may find it easier to scoop water with your wide-mouthed water bottle and drink from it using the LifeStraw. When new, the filter membrane is very dry and must be primed before use. Uncap the top and bottom caps and insert the base of the straw into the contaminated water, being careful to keep the mouthpiece dry. Let it sit for 30 seconds to allow water to creep up the membrane, then take 5 quick sucks to get the water flowing. It takes roughly 3-5 seconds of sucking to start the flow of water through the filter when the membrane is dry.
When finished drinking, blow a breath of air back down into the LifeStraw to purge the remaining water out, shake, and recap. If you drink from murky water and the water flow stops, blow back into it to purge the water and mud from the filter. When you return home from a hiking trip, drink some tap water with the LifeStraw, purge the filter by blowing back into it, and leave it to dry with the caps off.The LifeStraw will not desalinate salt water, remove dissolved chemicals or minerals, nor remove viruses. If drinking from water which may have viruses in it (e.g. contaminated by human sewage), pre-treat with water treatment tablets. See the included instruction manual for more information. Additional Features:- No after-taste. LifeStraw has no after-taste, since no chlorine, iodine or other chemicals are used. - No waiting time. You can drink from your LifeStraw right away. There is no need to wait for water to drip or chemicals to act.- 5-year shelf life: Can be stored and used periodically. The shelf life is not reduced if the LifeStraw is used occasionally and then put back in storage.- LifeStraw meets or exceeds EPA standards for efficacy. LifeStraw was successfully assessed in laboratory conditions (harsher conditions than what is required by the EPA in terms of turbidity and organic matter), up to 1600 liters (approximately 160% of design life). Independent testing at the University of Arizona showed that LifeStraw exceeds the EPA requirements of LOG 6 reduction for bacteria and LOG 3 reduction for protozoan parasites.Bacteria removed include: Escherichia coli (“E. Coli”), Campylobacter, Vibrio cholerae (“Cholera”), Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Shigella, Salmonella. Protozoa removed include: Giardia lamblia (“Beaver Fever”), Cryptosporidium parvum (“Crypto”), Entamoeba histolytica.
Awards and Accolades
- ‘One of the ‘Ten Things That Will Change The Way We Live’ Forbes (February 2006)
- ‘Invention of the Century’ Gizmag (December 2005)
- ‘Innovation of the Year’ Esquire (December 2005)
- ‘Europe’s Best Invention’ Reader’s Digest (July 2006)
- ‘Best Invention of 2005’ Time (November 2005)
- *2008 Saatchi & Saatchi Award for World Changing Ideas
- *‘INDEX: 2005’ International Design Award
- *‘Well-Tech 2006’ Innovation Technology Award
- Product Dimensions: 9 x 1 x 1 inches ; 2.1 ounces
- Shipping Weight: 2.4 ounces
- Filters at least 1,000 liters of water
- Removes up to:
- 99.99999 percent of waterborne bacteria
- 99.9 percent of waterborne protozoan cysts
- Reduces turbidity by filtering particles of approximately 0.2 microns
- Contains no chemicals
Do not use LifeStraw® if visible damage is noted. Do not attempt to replace damaged or missing parts.CAUTION: This product must not be used by children without the supervision of an adult. LifeStraw® cannot guarantee the quality of the water filtered through its portable filtration system under conditions other than those described in the Use and Care Manual. See Use and Care Manual before use.
Vestergaard Frandsen Group SA shall be liable neither for any damages arising out of or as a result of the use of LifeStraw® for any purpose other than for which it is clearly intended, nor for any malfunction resulting from the failure of the user of LifeStraw® to strictly abide by the (usage and safety) information contained on the original LifeStraw® package. Stated microbiological and longevity performance of LifeStraw® is conducted under standard laboratory test conditions. The effectiveness of the LifeStraw® may be limited by environmental or hygienic conditions that could contribute to the recontamination of water after it has passed though the product’s internal filter. These conditions include but are not limited to:
- Use of the LifeStraw® with dirty and bacteria-contaminated hands
- Placement of LifeStraw® in a mouth contaminated with bacteria
- Use of the LifeStraw® in a dense coliform environment
- Failure to maintain a sterile mouthpiece on the LifeStraw®
- Exposure to extreme heat or freezing temperatures
Read the usage and safety instructions carefully before using LifeStraw®. LifeStraw® is a personal water filtration tool and should be used only for filtering water. The quality of the filtered water is not guaranteed if the product is submitted to conditions other than the ones encountered during its normal use. To prevent breakage, do not drop or hit LifeStraw® against a hard object. Do not drop the product in polluted water as this might contaminate the membrane. Always keep the mouthpiece cap closed when product is not in use. Stop using LifeStraw® if cracks are noted on the main LifeStraw® body. Your use of LifeStraw® implies that you accept and agree to these terms and conditions and this disclaimer.
LifeStraw® is a registered trademark of Vestergaard S.A.
EPA Est. No. 085787-CHE-001
NOTE: Purchasing "LifeStraw" from WND's online store also qualifies you to receive three FREE issues of WND's acclaimed monthly print magazine, Whistleblower. Watch for the FREE offer during checkout.