Kaito KA500 Voyager Solar & Dynamo Emergency Radio
The Kaito KA500 Voyager dynamo and solar-powered radio comes with all the features you need in an emergency situation.
- Comes with a high-quality AC-type brushless generator.
- A solar panel powers the radio by itself and charges the built-in Ni-MH batteries as well, which will run the radio for 12 full hours when fully charged. To maximize the sunlight’s rays, the solar panel is designed to tilt with the sun’s position to receive energy during the daytime.
- On the bottom side of the solar panel is a 5-LED reading lamp that you can use in poorly lit conditions.
- The radio is built with a multifunctional LED flashlight. The superbright LED on the side can be used either as a flashlight or as a red flashing emergency signal.
- Charge your cell phone or Apple electronics including iPhone and iPod
- The 7-band weather radio precisely gives you weather bands. The weather alert feature enables you to receive the alert signal when a disaster occurs.
The Kaito KA500 is the perfect radio for any disaster, so put one in your household emergency kit now – and order one for your loved ones, too.
Works using any of six power sources:
- Dynamo cranking power: 120 turns per minute of cranking will power the built-in Ni-MH battery pack with strong current and voltage.
- Solar panel power: Under direct sunlight, the solar panel will power the radio without a problem.
- AA batteries: You can use 3 normal AA batteries to run the radio for maximum reception.
- A built-in rechargeable battery pack.
- AC adapter charge from the 3.5 mm jack (optional).
- Charge from a computer via USB port.
- 5-LED reading lamp for camping and emergency use.
- White LED flashlight.
- Red LED blinking light for emergency alert.
- AM: 520-1710 KHz.
- FM: 87.00- 108.00 MHz.
- SW1: 3.20-9.00 MHz.
- SW2: 9.00- 22.00 MHz weather band, 7 standard bands for all stations, PLL crystal control circuit for stable reception.
- Weather alert: To be activated by weather alert signals.
“The 4 way powered Kaito Voyager KA500 was actually one of the first pieces of survival gear I added to my collection. … Although advertised as a ‘radio’, this is so much more for a variety of emergency situations. … one of my favorite features of this radio is the shortwave radio bands. With shortwave radio, you can pick up radio stations in other countries. … another cool feature on this radio is that it has a charging feature that will allow you to charge mp3’s, iPods, or cell phones.” – Jeremy, Survival Blueprint
“This Kaito also sounds good when played for everyday use so if convenient, keep one handy wherever you are.” – Ice4Safety
“This radio has it all from crank power to solar power plus it's very compact and portable. … the KA500 Voyager from Kaito, one of the best budget mini emergency survival radios on the market today. … We've also tested the crank power system and it's one of the easiest to operate. Although the AC adapter is sold separately, the radio is ready to operate straight out of the box with plenty of power options making it great for everyday use including emergencies.” – ULTRA TechLife
- Dimensions: 8" x 5" x 2.6"
- 11 bands: AM/FM, shortwave 1 & 2 and weather bands 1-7
- NOAA weather alert sends an emergency wireless signal to the radio for local weather disasters.
- LED flashlight plus 5-LED reading lamp and SOS emergency light.
- Self-powered hand-crank charging system. Built-in Ni-MH rechargeable batteries. Solar power. 3 AA batteries. AC adapter.
- Adjustable solar panel captures energy from the sun or natural light.
NOTE: Purchasing "KA500IP Voyager Solar & Dynamo Emergency Radio" from WND's online store also qualifies you to receive three FREE issues of WND's acclaimed monthly print magazine, Whistleblower. Watch for the FREE offer during checkout.
Ratings & Reviews
Excellant Quality; Long Lasting
I bought this radio several years ago. It's still performing very well. It's worth the price; and it doesn't run you out of batteries, even if you use it every day for at least 3 hours. If I had to leave my home, it's the first thing I would grab.
Weak a.m. reception
by FSF JR
I've had this radio for several months. Its versitility is as advertised. However, the a.m. radio reception is weak.
Get two - these are great!
by Waiting for the end
We have three of these. Bought the first about three years ago, and immediately bought a second one. The ONLY downside is that it isn't waterproof, though it is water resistant. One is kept in our garage, one in the house, and one in our emergency bag. It is light, small, battery life is excellent, reception is very good for its class of radio (it isn't a Drake or Crane), weather radio/alerts pick up well, and the audio quality is acceptable. Add an additional longwire shortwave antenna and you have an excellent emergency radio that can run anywhere.
Concept is good; execution lacking
I concur with comment that AM radio reception is weak. Also, it tends to lose the signal over time -- have to keep retuning. Sometimes the radio stops getting stations, but if I switch between the radio sources and back to where I started, reception returns. I'm not impressed with battery life -- seems like it loses power over 2-3 hours. Also, I receive very few SW signals (in Ohio). You really NEED the optional adapter or you will forever be changing batteries. Its OK, but not what I expected.
This Kaito KA500 radio is a must have.
This radio is a must have for any emergency, or everyday use. <br>Here is a true recent event and how we used the functions: <br>On March 2 & 3, 2018 we had a high windstorm and no power for several days following. We put the radio to use. Starting with the rechargeable battery until it ran down (wasn't fully charged to begin with) and then used the hand crank until we were able to get out of our road (blocked by trees) and to a store (that was open) to get regular batteries (3 AA's) Never got around to trying out the solar recharge. Electric came back on before the the AA batteries could give out. (Used batteries 2 days) then I removed the batteries and switched to electric while I cleaned the kitchen. I highly recommend every home have one of these radios. AM/FM/NOAA, good clear reception and volume.