Firing Back (Hardcover)
By Todd Akin
In "Firing Back," six-term congressman Todd Akin describes in eye-opening detail what it is like to be an unapologetic conservative in a town dominated by media bullies, backroom bosses and liberals of either party.
Although he tried to be a loyal Republican, Akin’s first allegiance was always to the Constitution and his conservative principles. When the Bush administration lobbied him to approve its liberal legislative initiatives, No Child Left Behind and the Medicare prescription drug benefit, Akin refused. In the process, he made some serious enemies.
Those enemies got their revenge after Akin made an awkward comment about rape. Although he had just won a hard-fought Republican primary in Missouri for U.S. Senate, party bosses tried to coerce him to yield the nomination to their preferred candidate.
When Akin refused, the bosses turned their backs on him and let Democrat Claire McCaskill win.
In "Firing Back," Akin tells the story of how the Republican leadership not only threw him under the bus but also ran over him a few times for good measure. Not one of them explained what it was about Akin’s remarks that so deeply offended them.
Akin names names and takes numbers in "Firing Back," but this book is much more than a tell-all. It is a battle-tested guide for Republicans and conservatives to help them find their courage and reclaim their integrity and, by doing so, to help preserve America’s faith and freedom.
- Todd Akin is a Reagan conservative who served six terms in the U.S. House of Representatives from Missouri, where more than a million people voted for him despite bipartisan pressure not to.
- Although Akin lost his election bid, his treatment by the media and his fellow Republicans netted him supporters from across the country, especially in the pro-life movement.
- As the world-famous senatorial candidate who took so much heat from his own party, Todd Akin is uniquely qualified to write about the problems in Washington and the Republican Party.
- The American people are ready to read about how to stop the abusive cronyism in the Republican Party and the media bullies that promote "progressivism."
About the Author
Todd Akin is the former six-term U.S. representative for Missouri’s second congressional district. A graduate of Worcester Polytechnic Institute, before entering public service he served in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, worked in the private sector and earned an M.Div. degree from Covenant Theological Seminary. In Congress, he served on the Committees on the Budget, on Space and Aeronautics and on Armed Services, where he was the chairman of the Subcommittee on Seapower and Expeditionary Forces. Akin continues to live in St. Louis County.
- Publisher: WND Books (July 15, 2014)
- Hardcover: 224 pages
- Language: English
- ISBN: 978-1-936488-20-9
- Dimension: 6 x 9 inches